Image Map

Monday, July 8, 2013

Google Drive

Google Drive {previously referred to as Google Docs} is another "storage in the cloud" option. If you already have a Google account and don't really want to sign up for anything else, Google Drive might be the best option for you.

Via

Honestly, I don't know a whole lot about Google Drive because I don't use it that often. But here is what I do know...

Features:


  • 5 GB of storage for free when you sign up
  • Ability to share a file {that person can download the file or place it in his/her Google Drive}
  • Ability to create and store various types of files: document {similar to Microsoft Word}, presentation {similar to Microsoft PowerPoint}, spreadsheet {similar to Microsoft Excel}, form, or drawing. These different creation options are called "apps."
  • Ability to add more  "apps." {For instance, I love that you can add photo editing and brainstorming maps!}
  • Ability to purchase more storage, if needed {25 or 100 GB, starting at $2.49/month}

Ideas for Use:

As far as I know, there is no way to earn extra, free space on Google Drive. I also find it cumbersome to create new folders. Because of its limited features and the fact that I find Copy and Dropbox much more user-friendly and convenient, I obviously don't use Google Drive very often.

However, I do use Google Drive for some things:
  • Google Drive is great when you need to collect responses from others! I know for a fact that our school used it during our mock presidential election of 2012; our librarian created a form {poll} that allowed the students to "vote" for the presidential candidate of their choosing. I've also used Google Drive to create sign-ups for things like classroom volunteers or science camps.
  • I used Google Drive for awhile in college after I bought a new laptop and didn't want to shell out the money to pay for Microsoft Office right away. The formatting is a little different, but the ability to create documents, presentations, and spreadsheets without paying for any special software is pretty useful. 
You can also use it in some of the ways I detailed in THIS blog post about Dropbox. 


Ready to Get Started?

Click HERE to sign up for a Google account. If you already have a Google account and just want to get started adding things to your Google Drive, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment