Image Map

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Storage in the Cloud

"Storage in the cloud" is a hot phrase. But what exactly does it mean, and what are the benefits of using it?

Nope, not this kind of cloud.

"Storage in the cloud" is a fancy way of saying that you are storing information on the Internet. Think of it like a flash drive that is with you at virtually every moment, and you never have to keep up with it. Or think of it like the H:// or I:// drives at school, except you can access it from anywhere with an Internet connection -- not just from school.

Pros: 
  1. You can access your information from any computer or device that has an Internet connection. So you pretty much have your files available wherever you go. That means you don't have to worry about leaving a document on your H:// drive and then not being able to access it at home.
  2. You can never lose your information. It's stored forever on the 'net.
  3. You don't have to keep up with a flash drive anymore. Hello, convenience.
There are lots of options for storage in the cloud systems these days. My top three favorites are as follows:
Click on the above names to take you to my posts on each system for more information. ...Or just pick the name you like the best and dive in! {There are other options like Box and SugarSync, but I'm not a fan, so I won't be writing a post about them. Feel free to explore them if you'd like some other options, though!}

My Recommendation:

Personally, my favorites are Dropbox and Copy. Actually, let me clarify: Copy is "the new guy" on the block, and he is VERY similar to Dropbox, except he offers way more free space right off the bat. If I wasn't already so invested in Dropbox, I think Copy would be my main squeeze. But since I started my love affair with Dropbox several years ago and have SO MANY FILES already on there, I'm trying to give equal love to DB and Copy. :) 

Since Copy is so new, you might have trouble accessing it at school. {CISD employees: I've already requested that Copy be removed from the "block" list... nothin' yet.} If that happens to you, Dropbox is a fantastic choice!

If you already have a Google account, don't want to sign up for anything else, and/or would like the ability to create presentations, polls, or spreadsheets, Google Drive might be ideal for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment