Image Map

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Random Name Selector app

I've talked before about tools to help you pick random students' names. {The first was Instant Classroom, and the second was Stick Pick.} Today's post will be about a free iOS app called Random Name Selector.



I haven't played with it for very long, so I don't know everything about it yet, but I wanted to be sure I offered a free iOS name-picking app {since Stick Pick costs a couple dollars}.

Be aware that there are plenty of ads in this app, and they're mildly annoying.

Two themes are free: the top hat and spotlight that you see above, and a jungle theme. You can unlock the other themes by upgrading, which also gets rid of the ads. I'm not interested in upgrading, so I didn't even check the price... sorry!

Here's the top hat and spotlight theme in action:

Click the blue question mark button to generate your first name

Click the orange arrow button to generate a new name

Here's the jungle theme in action:

Click the blue question mark button to generate your first name



Click the orange arrow button to generate a new name

 Key Features

  • You can create as many groups as you want, and each group can have as many members as you want. You do have to type all the names in manually, though; there is no import feature.
  • You can choose whether names can be repeated up to 3 times, or if they can only be picked once per rotation.
  • You can switch names "off," which means they won't be picked. This would come in handy for absent students. 
Verdict: I like that this is a free app and that it does what it says it will do. If I didn't already have a random name selector that I liked, I would use this app in class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment